Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Patience

I often think about the word "patience".

When I was in hospital, being a "patient" took a lot of patience. You called for a nurse or a doctor, and maybe someone would arrive a few hours later. As one Israeli surgeon bluntly put it, if you don't shout loud in a hospital you die! I will never forget the sweet nurse who when I asked to be taken to the toilet said, "but you went yesterday...''.

In Israel, everyone says "savlanut" - have patience. But the word comes from the verb ''lisbol", which means to suffer. To me this is the real meaning of patience. Everyone says to me, you might get better over time. This requires a lot of patience on my behalf, and yes, a lot of suffering.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have been born with an abundance of patience. So my question is, where can I find patience. Can I buy it in a shop in Jerusalem? Can I purchase it online? Will it just begin to grow on its own? Any answers please ....

Of course I really know that having "patience" comes from pure faith. So this is obviously a task I have been given to work on.

No comments: